Back to Gashora

After a nice breakfast at our hotel, the Beausejour, Yvan - our fantastic guide from the 2012 trip - and the driver, Frank, picked us up. After a brief stop at the currency exchange and to pick up some water we headed to the Gashora Girls Academy of Science and Technology. GGAST is about an hour south of Kigali. It turned out to be, at that point, a beautiful, sunny day for which I was grateful. We were greeted by the head of school, Peter, and several others including Linda, the recipient of a scholarship to Hamline University. Yippee!! It was great to finally meet her in person. A delightful young woman, she gave us a tour of the school and we then visited with Peter and Amy, the university counselor. Afterwards we ate a lunch of spaghetti, potatoes, and avocado while visiting with Linda and several other girls. Yes, it's true, there's never a lack of starches in my Rwandan diet.

On the way back to Kigali we paid our respects at Nyamata and Ntarama, two genocide memorial sites in Bugesera, an area particularly hard hit by killings both before and during the 1994 genocide. At Nyamata we heard from a survivor. Had we not needed to continue on our way, she might have talked all afternoon - and I would have remained riveted all afternoon. Though she survived with all five of her children, she lost all other family, immediate and extended. While in hiding, one day her husband left to find food. That was the last time she ever saw him. I still can't really grasp how people with such experiences cope with the loss...

Approaching Kigali the darkening skies opened up and the torrential rains began. It's the short rainy season, thus my gratitude for a beautiful day up to that point. After a short break - and wait for the rain to let up - we ventured up the street to Chez Lando where we each had a chicken and pineapple brochette (kebab) and veggie sambusa, what some of you may know as a samosa. While I enjoyed the sambusa, the brochettes were disappointing. But, I did get a Fanta Citron and saved the bottle top for my friend, the Pop Top Girl. So, that was day one. A success, I'd say - regardless of brochette disappointment. Stay tuned for a brief update after day two!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.